– I thought Trent Guy played decently at WR and PR. He was the best of the preseason, which doesn’t say a lot … still, are the numbers in his favor? What’s the extent of Wallace Wright’s injury? Could that land him on IR? If so, does that open up a spot for Guy?
– The WR situation is a mess. You could literally put all the names in a bag and draw a few and have that be your WR corps for the year. You figure that LaFell and Edwards will make it due to their high draft status, but truth be told, Edwards hasn’t been even on the radar as a receiver or a kick returner. Sure, he’s a project, but he’s the least polished WR in camp and there’s no guarantee that he’ll ever be worth anything in the future. Does that make sense to keep a guy this raw? I think it’s a detriment to the team at this point. Either they need to keep an extra WR or they need to cut Edwards. I don’t think they’ll cut him, which means i think they’ll keep an extra WR at the expense of either Todd Carter or QB. Edwards could play QB in a pinch, at least. So, as I figure it, assuming Wright isn’t injured that badly, they’ll keep Smith, LaFell, Edwards and Wright, plus one of Jarrett, Guy and Moore. Seeing as Guy can play special teams and Jarrett has had several years to show what he can do (and hasn’t), I wouldn’t be surprised to see Guy make the team over Jarrett and be active on game day over Edwards, who would be designated as the emergency quarterback until he is fit to wear a jersey in a big boy game. If you told me Gettis was the third round pick and Edwards was the sixth rounder, I’d believe you.
– It’s only preseason, so we can’t get too excited over the defense, just as we can’t get too depressed about the offense, but man, how good has the defense been? Not too shabby considering they’ve got so many new starters. Nobody is missing Julius Peppers right now, and that begs the question, was he really that good to begin with? Sure, he looked the part, and he had a couple of amazing plays a season, but really, when it’s all said and done, was he that good? One thing is certain to me — he wasn’t a million dollars a game good.
– The Panthers look like they hit a home run with Greg Hardy (pictured above). He’s flashed some skills on the field, when it matters (*cough cough* dwayne jarrett *cough cough*). Expect him to rotate with Johnson, Brown and Brayton. Doesn’t look like a sixth round pick to me. In fact, if you’d have told me that Hardy was the Panthers’ first round pick, I’d believe you.
– I don’t think Hunter Cantwell is making this team. I think he’ll be either traded or released. I think it’s possible that Tony Pike makes the team, considering Matt Moore and Cantwell aren’t under contract next season, and he and Clausen are. Keep him on the roster a year, let him learn and develop and he could be a decent player down the road. You don’t need him to contribute this year. Why else draft Pike if you aren’t going to give him a shot?