Why not Cam Newton?

First things first, I’m not advocating it should happen, only that it could.

QB talent is hard to come by in the NFL, as evidenced by the entire history of the Carolina Panthers. In their entire history, they’ve drafted one Quarterback in the first round — Kerry Collins.

Collins was a flop in Carolina, but he went on to have a decent career. Still, he’s the only QB to leave Carolina and have a career in the NFL.

Why? Because he was a first round talent.

You don’t see quality QBs as free agents in the NFL. Whenever there is one, he’s either got some kind of issue or not enough experience. Typically teams overpay for guys who they think MIGHT have talent, and even then, most of the time they end up being marginal at best.

If you look around the league, most of the teams have acquired their quarterback through the draft … well, the teams that matter anyhow. It seems like that is the only way to get a quality player — to draft him in the first (or second) round.

The Panthers have the first overall pick, and it’s highly unlikely that any team will want to trade up and give the Panthers what they’ll want in return. In fact, it’s probably more likely that the Panthers would trade up into the first round to acquire ANOTHER first round pick like they did when they picked Stewart and Otah a few years back.

So with there not being a sure-fire number one pick out there (at least right now), the thought of the Panthers taking Cam Newton has been running around my mind. I know, it sounds a bit crazy.

However, Newton is arguably the best QB talent in the draft. It will take him a while to become acclimated to the NFL, but he’s got all the measurables you want in a franchise QB. He reminds me a lot of Daunte Culpepper and Ben Roethlisberger with his scrambling ability and his tremendous arm strength.

He’s not polished — but he’s got tremendous potential. Do you gamble with the first overall pick on a guy like Newton? Maybe. It depends on how sure you are that he is going to eventually be what you want him to be. The Panthers seem to have the staff in place to be able to coach him into being an NFL QB, and after a season holding a clip board, he may be able to compete for a starting position next season.

It’s a gamble. They could miss big with him, but then again, he could be the next Roethlisberger.

What do you think?

24 Responses to "Why not Cam Newton?"

1. sportsclt
    sportsclt 6 years ago .

Why not Cam Newton? – http://sportsclt.com/2011/01/29/why-not-...

• LesPorter
      LesPorter 6 years ago .

@sportsclt I desperately want the #Panthers to take a QB at #1 overall but I don't want a reach. I want more data on Newton.

• sportsclt
        sportsclt 6 years ago .

. @LesPorter we will find out more on Newton in coming weeks. He is a leader, which team lacks. Potential is perhaps best in draft #panthers

• gmonet
      gmonet 6 years ago .

I think we have wasted our "Draft a QB in the FR" options and it is time to forget about rookies pulling us out of the tank. We need a guy like Aikman or Brees who will not tolerate less than 100% from himself and his offense. A rookie is not the man, and wasting another QB pick early is unwise. Go after a defensive beast in the 1st and make a veteran QB with brass our priority!

• Silverchief
        Silverchief 6 years ago .

What kind of veteran QB do you think the Panthers will be able to get?

2. kenneth picklesimer

I very,very Close to being a Cam Newton Guy I just don’t want to if he’s not the pick but I now think he will be

another Question WHAT Number will he wear

• Brad Thomas

I think #1 is retired because of Mike McCormack. #2 is Clausen, #3 is Moore (potentially available), #4 is Kasay, #5 is open, #6 is open, #8 is Lloyd (potentially available), #9 is Null (potentially available), #10, #11, #12 are Edwards, LaFell and Gettis, #13 and #14 are available, #15 is Wright, #16 is Pike, #17, #18, #19 are available. I wonder if Clausen would sell #2 to Newton …

• Brad Thomas
        Brad Thomas 6 years ago .

and forgot to post that #7 is Baker.

3. kenneth picklesimer

another Question WHAT Number will he wear

• Brad Thomas

• Brad Thomas
        Brad Thomas 6 years ago .

and forgot to post that #7 is Baker.

4. silverchief
    silverchief 5 years ago .

Newton finished his second year very strong. He emerged as a leader and helped lead his team to victory, winning 5 of the last 6 games, which included 4 straight to end the season. Looking forward to 2013!